Entry Criteria – Novice, Open, Multiples & Small Pony
SDHC is very proud of its long tradition of encouraging drivers to enjoy a full range of driving events and skills without having to dedicate themselves to one discipline before they are ready, if ever. We want to encourage new drivers and challenge more experienced drivers.
Our “grass roots” approach is our strength, meaning we define a “SDHC Novice” in a different way to the more formal British Carriagedriving criteria.
Below is a list of criteria that identifies which class a driver should enter at SDHC events, however please note that this does not apply to any SDHC Showing events (past or future), where the required criteria is detailed on the show entry form.
If any one of the criteria applies to you then this is the class you may enter.
An SDHC Novice Driver
• Drives a single horse or pony
• Has not taken part in any Regional / National Horse Driving Trial event (as a novice, open or multiple)
• Has not won 3 times at any events (organised by any club) prior to January of the current year (e.g. Jan 2016)
• Has not competed as an Open Driver at any events (organised by any club) prior to January of the current year (e.g. Jan 2016)
An SDHC Open Driver
• Has competed with a multiple at any Club, Regional or National event (not including showing)
• Has competed at any Regional or National Horse Driving Trial event (as a novice, open or multiple)
• Has won 3 or more times at any event (organised by any club) prior to January of the current year (e.g. Jan 2016)
• Is a driving assessor for SDHC
• Has been employed to train carriage horses for a client, has undertaken paid commercial carriage driving work or been paid to provide tuition to carriage drivers
If you meet the criteria of a Novice but want to enter as an Open for an event you are very welcome to challenge yourself. However… once you step up to Open, you cannot step back down again at SDHC events so choose wisely!
An SDHC Multiple Driver
• Drives more than one horse or pony (pair, tandem, team or other combination)
• Same criteria as SDHC Open Drivers apply
A Small Pony Driver
• Drives a single or multiple ponies, all are 11hh or under
• No difference between Novice or Open drivers within the Small Pony classes
• Where a Small Pony class is not offered then SDHC Novice, Open and Multiples criteria apply.